By Anko Zuta ,Blogger of De Birhan Blogspot
Few banners and paper ads. that announced May 21, 2011 as world judgment day ,were removed shortly after they were posted in Stadium and Bole areas of Addis Abeba. De Birhan’s associate in Addis Abeba confirmed that similar judgment day posters have been posted in various parts of Addis Abeba bearing the attribution to Harold Egbert Camping’s organisation, familyradio.com and later removed.
The messages written in Amharic read the following, “ግንቦት-13, 2003 የ ፍርድ ቀን ነው:: ተዘጋጀትሃል ? ጥሩንባው ይነፋ : ህዝቡ ይጠንቀቅ :: ”
The billboards were vivid until May 20,2011.There are still some parts of the city where the posters have not been detached, the associate said.
The identity of those who put up the billboards and those who ordered the pulling down was unknown. Some passersby expressed their surprise at the message and the fact that such messges were allowed to be posted in the presence of authorities and government.
The issue of judgment day has been the catch talk in Addis Abeba for the past few days. Similar prediction by Harold Camping in 1994 and reported in the defunct, Godanaw newspaper in Addis Abeba caused a lot of confusion and stress in the Capital.
Similar billboards have appeared in Uganda and Kenya.
Camping an American Evangelical said he used Bible-based numerology to predict dates for the end of the world .His most recent end times prediction is that the Rapture will occur on May 21, 2011 and that God will subsequently completely destroy the Earth and the universe five months later on October 21.
Harold Camping’s homemade mathematical formula for the apocalypse works, in part, like this:
- · He bases it on a verse in Chapter 2 of Peter verse 3:8, which says that one day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like one day to God.
- Elsewhere it is said that there will be seven thousand years between Noah’s flood and the end of the world
- Camping believes that the Noah’s Ark flood happened in the year 4990 BC
- So to Camping, the seven days translates to 7,000 years.
- And 4990 plus 2011, minus one because there was no year ‘0’, equals 7,000 years.
- The date of May 21 has been derived from complex mathematical formula made up from numbers that appear repeatedly in the Bible.